Social Media Assistant
B.C. Schizophrenia Society (BCSS) is looking for a volunteer to assist with maintaining its social media presence. The ideal candidate would be able to commit 5 to 10 hours every two weeks to provide social media support. This work can be done on-site at the Provincial Office in Vancouver or remotely. The volunteer will be working with a team and reporting to the Communications Manager.
B.C. Schizophrenia Society is a non-profit organization founded in 1982 by families and friends of people with schizophrenia. Since then, BCSS has grown into a province-wide family support system dedicated to supporting families, educating the public, raising funds for research and advocating for better services for people with schizophrenia and other serious and persistent mental illness.
Volunteer Job Description:
- Reporting to the Communications Manager, the volunteer will be part of a larger social media team that will post about relevant events, research and news on BCSS social media platforms
- This position will also be responsible for researching and sourcing potential content to share on social media (i.e. research on schizophrenia, medications, treatments, mental health resources available in B.C. or online, etc.)
The volunteer is also expected to craft social media posts according to social media posting guidelines
- Evaluating sources to ensure that information provided is current, high-quality and evidence-based
- An understanding or knowledge about how to use social media to provide education and research
- Detailed oriented
- Strong writing skills
- Strong research skills
- Experience in working with a not-for-profit on their social media assets is an asset
- Familiarity and/or interest in local mental health resources, current research and programs is an asset
- Knowledge of schizophrenia, other severe and persistent mental illnesses is an asset